wrote a how-we-vidded-yuletide retrospective post
that is ... pretty much exactly what the vid project was like, but shorter.
2. I want a new term for a particular kind of pairing-fic. See, there's best friends!fic (Blair/Jim, Starsky/Hutch, Gus/Shawn) and there's what I think of as enemies!fic (Harry Potter/any Voldemort supporter, Mulder/Krycek, Johnny Smith/Stillson, John/Kolya) and then there's this other thing, this sort of sniping-but-on-the-same-side thing. And sometimes people call it enemies!fic, and I'm always a bit "huh?" because these guys aren't enemies
. They're just not best friends! If one of them hasn't killed the other's mentor, if one of them isn't trying to bring about the apocalypse, if one of them isn't busy creating an evil clone army, it's just not the same! It's "sometimes we bicker" fic! And yet people keep telling me that it's the opposite of the bff fic, that if you don't write best friends this is the other option, and I am continually weirded.
Some example pairings that I thought of just now:
- Psych, Shawn/Lassiter. Listen, they are both on the same side, neither of them has killed the other's father, they just kind of dislike each other. They both want to arrest guys! They sometimes work together! But not as much as Shawn and Gus.
- The Dead Zone, Johnny/Walt. They are kinda suspicious of each other, okay, and Walt sometimes thinks Johnny's a big weirdo, and they are both in love with the same woman, but ... not enemies. Not BFFs, either.
- Eureka, Jack Carter/Nathan Stark. They are both in love with the same woman (sigh) and they don't like each other but they, you know, save the world together a lot.
- The X-Files, Mulder/Skinner. They're on the same side -- well, most of the time, depending on what side Chris Carter thought Skinner was on today -- but they disagree sometimes. Mostly they do Stern Authority Figure/Snarky Subordinate. Like, in fic, when Skinner spanked Mulder, it was for How Dare You Break Into That Military Base Without Telling Me, I Worry About You reasons, not Damn You, Stop Trying to Take Over the World With Evil Robots reasons.
So what should I call this? Clearly "guys who kind of don't like each other and are a little bit snarky but neither of them killed the other one's father fic" is a little long. thingswithwings
suggests "cantankerous acquaintance fic," which certainly gets at the part where these aren't guys who are BFFs and
aren't srs enemies.
Like, is it just my fannish history? Is it just that I read Mulder/Krycek and Harry/Snape (when Snape was supposed to be evil)? I feel like these aren't the same things as what I'm used to calling enemies!fic. I want more archnemeses in my enemies!fic.
3. I am sad to say that Super Mario Galaxy has been rejected from yuletide -- the Mario universe was added to the list of ineligible franchises after nominations were over. I am full of woe, for I wanted to ask for cool genre-bending fic (Freudian meditations on Cosmic Mario! kinky Star Bunny fic!), and also because it means I wasted a nomination -- I went and looked up the fandom before I nominated, and was pretty sure that it would count as small enough on its own, and Mario wasn't on the franchise list. I could have nominated The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air instead! Or Uzak (Distant)
, where there should have been HUGS. I know that betrays the premise of the movie, but after I watched it, I wanted hugs. Or Carol Emshwiller's Carmen Dog
, which was my favorite book when I was in junior high. (Finding out that Le Guin loved it, in that article, made me all starry-eyed. Ursula K Le Guin! Carol Emshwiller! Together! It was like, baby!eruthros does RPF.) So now I am a little sad.
4. I watched White Collar the other day; here is some ( spoilery talk about it )